6 Acupressure Points to Aid in Weight Loss
For centuries, Chinese acupressure has been used to treat a variety of health conditions. It works on the belief that energy flows through the body, but can be blocked by tension and pain within the body. Acupressure (1) opens those blocked areas to allow the energy to flow freely.
While many are not sure about the explanation that energy is being blocked or freed, acupressure has had a marked impact on the pain many people have in their bodies. It's also had an influence in helping to manage digestive problems like nausea and vomiting.
This influence on digestive problems means that acupressure can also have an impact on weight loss. There are common acupressure points that can relieve stress, which is why many people overeat. The acupressure points help control hunger, appetite, and make the digestive system stronger (2).
Below are 6 acupressure points that can aid in weight loss when light massage as well as pressure are applied.
1. Ear Point
Acupressure knowledge says that the ears, hands, and feet have the greatest impact on the energy throughout the entire body. The ear point is one of the major ones associated with weight loss.
- Find the triangle shaped part close to the ear with your thumb.
- Open and close your mouth while feeling the jaw.
- Where you can feel the movement of the jaw the most is where pressure should be applied.
- Massage this point lightly before pressing for up to 3 minutes, twice a day.
2. Upper Lip Point
When you feel hungry, anxious, or stressed, this point can help relieve those feelings. This in turn will help with appetite control. Many people are stress eaters, so this is a good exercise for those people especially.
- Find the lip point between the upper lip and the nose.
- The pressure point is located in the center between the two.
- Massage then press there for up to five minutes, twice a day.
- If you find yourself with extra emotions or hunger, apply pressure again.
RELATED: 5 Best Acupressure Mats Reviewed
3. Knee Point
Improving digestion is one of the central focuses of this point, but it's great for menstrual cramps, too (3).
- This point can be found about 5 cm from the kneecap towards the outside of the leg.
- Inch your fingers down from the kneecap until you hit the 5 cm and massage then apply pressure.
- It might be slightly uncomfortable as you apply pressure.
- This point can be pressed for up to two minutes per day.
4. Elbow Point
This point is on the inner part of the arm where it creases at the elbow joint.
- Find the point by measuring a thumb from the elbow joint.
- At the inner crease of the elbow, apply pressure for up to one minute per day.
This point will help to remove excess moisture and body heat, which will help with fluid retention and healthy bowel function.
5. Abdomen Point
Approximately 3 cm below the belly button is where you'll find the next point. It improves the work of the digestive system and can reduce or relieve constipation, which makes it a great acupressure point for weight loss. Massage the area with two fingers in an up and down motion before applying pressure for two minutes, twice a day.
6. Ankle Point
On the interior part of your leg approximately 5 cm above your ankle will be the last acupressure point. Massage and apply pressure each day for one minute. This point shouldn't be used during pregnancy, though.
This YouTube video provides visual guidance for finding the acupressure points for weight loss.
These acupressure points for weight loss should be performed on a daily basis to see results. They'll help you stay healthy and practice appetite and hunger control.